Stanford, CA asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for California

Q: What type of licence would I need to film a concert and upload the recording on a pay-per-view based platform?

What types of licenses are required to:

1. film a concert

2. subsequently keep it in an archive to be uploaded as a recording

3. recording will be released to public on a platform that offers pay-per-view subscriptions?

also, what are the potential legal issues could arise from such a structure? (monetary, copyright, property rights etc.)

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To film a concert, you would likely need a performance agreement or license from the event organizer, allowing you to record the event.

Archiving the recorded concert may require obtaining the performers' consent and potentially negotiating a licensing agreement, especially if you plan to store and reuse the recording in the future.

Releasing the recorded concert on a pay-per-view platform necessitates securing synchronization licenses from the copyright holders of the music performed during the concert. Additionally, you'll need agreements with the performers for their image and performance rights.

Potential legal issues could include copyright infringement if you use copyrighted material without proper licensing, contractual disputes if agreements with performers or organizers are violated, and potential property rights issues if the venue's permission was not obtained.

Best regards,

James L. Arrasmith

Founding Attorney and Chief Lawyer

The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.