Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Entertainment / Sports Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: Can my clipsite store be completely terminated for DMCA even if I was never warned or able to defend myself

I had a clupstore open on an adult clipsite. I was able to upload MP3 audios and get paid when people purchased them . One day out of nowhere I received an email from the clipsite I did business with and it simply said that my store was permanently terminated and closed due to DMCA. I had never... Read more »

Lindsay Gunn Spiller
Lindsay Gunn Spiller PRO label
answered on Dec 27, 2022

Using film clips owned by someone else without their authorization violates the copyright. If the film clip was posted online, it might be taken down through the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The DMCA allows individuals to file a complaint with website administrators when they believe... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: Will pages of a script used as illustration in an ebook on screenwriting be covered under Fair Use?

I'm writing a 30 to 40-page e-book for screenwriters on how to incorporate hidden movie Easter eggs in their scripts to deepen the meaning of their story and keep viewers coming back to see their movie over and over again.

I'm analyzing three particular movies. Within the... Read more »

Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp PRO label
answered on Oct 5, 2022

Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: How can I fight a no rehire status? I resigned didn't give 2 weeks now I'm at six flags with a no rehire status.

My father was septic then had a seizure so I left to take care of him. According to six flags policy I have to wait 2 years for a change. Please help thank you.

Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane
answered on Jul 22, 2022

You should have asked to take a leave of absence under the federal Family Medical Leave or California Family Rights Act Leave to care for a sick family member, instead just quitting without notice.

I suggest that you explain that you had the right to take an immediate legal protected...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: Is it alright to use the Santa Cruz logo but change the name instead?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Jun 30, 2021


You must consult with an attorney to evaluate your options and risks

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: What are my chances with an Incidental Fair Use Defense? and how much to Defend my rights?

I'm a journalist with a Youtube channel that covers local news at Venice Beach. I did a 30-minute story on the reopening of Venice Skate park and during the story, you can hear 60 seconds of incidental music playing in the background. I received a copyright notice from the music owner.... Read more »

Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
answered on May 24, 2021

Based on the limited set of facts, this appears to be worth looking into. We are not allowed to seek business through the Q&A. You need to look someone up in the Justia Lawyer Directory. However, I would note that I work with LA County and Ventura County.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: Do I need an entertainment lawyer or a business lawyer?

I have a lot of intellectual property claims I would like to file.

I have businesses I would like to create.

I would like to know the legalities of them.

I want to find someone who is willing to work for a percentage.

Julie King
Julie King
answered on May 17, 2021

You would be best served hiring a law firm that has both intellectual property attorneys and business attorneys. If your business involves entertainment, then you may need an entertainment lawyer as well. But most business questions can be answered by a business attorney. Best wishes.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: I will be at the end of a 3 year employment contract in LA. I do not want to re-sign. Is unemployment available to me?

Unemployment during my search for a new gig. Also if they offer me a new deal and I decline is unemployment available.

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
answered on Apr 25, 2021

If you refuse an offer of full time employment you will likely not qualify for unemployment insurance benefits. Unless you can prove the reason for your refusal falls within the good cause requirements of the EDD, your action will likely be considered a voluntary quit. If you are not offered a... Read more »

Q: Legality of filming illegal activities as a reporter?

Hi my girlfriend and I plan on starting an investigative journalism based YouTube account. We want to shoot a video called, “A look into the black market cannabis scene.” For this video we plan to interview black market cannabis dealers who work with cartels along with filming their operation.... Read more »

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr
answered on Feb 9, 2021

You are safe. They are definitely not!

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: How much ownership of music do I have when a producer does a different version of the music I originally created?

I wrote a song and did the music arrangement in Logic Pro X using many royalty free loops to create my song. If I work with a producer who does his own interpretation of my original song via new music production how much ownership do I have regarding the music content?

I copyrighted my... Read more »

Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
answered on Dec 23, 2020

"Influenced by your original song" may or may not be a derivative work. His audio needs to be compared to your work.

A split sheet is useful. You might want to use a collaboration agreement along with the split sheet.

Please also see my answer on Avvo.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: Entertainment law: need advice for True story

I am writing a book about a true crime story. Some details were published and newspapers and I have details that come specifically from the people who experienced it, including notes of actual conversations and emails. What changes do I need to make to protect myself legally from slander or related... Read more »

Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
answered on Dec 13, 2020

It is not really possible to catalog all the types of things that can be said and how to change the things that cannot be said. Each one needs to be reviewed in context. Changes involve legal judgments. The one true crime writer I am personally acquainted with is an attorney.

One way to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: I need the services of a lawyer to review a 4 page LLC agreement for an entertainment project.
Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks
answered on Jul 29, 2020

I’d be happy to help. Email me at: and we can set up a time to discuss this week.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law, Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for California on
Q: What's a precedent r/t purchasing in-game items, when $ spent and devs remove items and replace w inferior items?

I purchased an in-game package. After purchasing, developers removed all items purchased and replaced with inferior items, saying original pack was erroneously released. I would not have spent money at all on the inferior items they replaced my purchase with. They have a strict "All sales are... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Jul 5, 2020

Sorry your product did not meet your expectations. This is a consumer/contract law question and the supplier failed to provide the product you contracted for. It sounds like you bought this online, so you must have paid with a CC. You should contact your CC company and create a dispute over the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Trademark for California on
Q: Semi-famous relative passed away.

While family was occupied with final arrangements/grieving, a third party filed for licensing to the name and image my relative went to extreme lengths to protect in life. So now essentially this person owns my relative. The family does not have the financial resources for a court battle. We simply... Read more »

Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler
answered on May 18, 2020

My understanding is that California has strong laws that protect the Right of Publicity (right to exploit one's fame for famous people) and Right to Privacy. It would be good to get advise from a California attorney familiar with these 2 torts. The laws may allow you to collect... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: Am I allowed to use a verbally spoken speech or spoken poetry in my music?

I'm currently working on a soundtrack and considering using a verbally spoken speech.

Evelyn Suero
Evelyn Suero
answered on May 12, 2020

If the speech or poetry does not belong to you, then you will need to obtain permission/license from the copyright owner in order to incorporate this intellectual property into your soundtrack.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: How can I find out if someone has power of attorney over me?
Mit Winter
Mit Winter
answered on Feb 14, 2020

A power of attorney is a document that allows you to appoint a person or entity to oversee and manage your affairs. In order for a power of attorney to be legally binding, in most states you must sign and have notarized an original power of attorney document that specifies exactly what powers your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: If I signed a settlement agreement related to an entertainer I worked for, can I sue if the settlement was unfair?
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
answered on Jan 6, 2020

No one can really answer this question without learning far more about the situation. Only some general information can be provided here.

If you signed the settlement agreement it will take a very large burden for you to overcome to now try to undo that agreement. There are legal theories...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for California on
Q: Suing a game for fraud or getting back my payments!

Hello! I have played a game(Brutal Age) from 2019-01-31 And have spent $45647 on this game!

This game is simply not as advertised. The first 6 to 10 months were great imo. Been down hill for a while now. I’ve found that Chinese players cheated on this game and buy packs 0.1% what normal... Read more »

Jingzhan Wang
Jingzhan Wang
answered on Dec 23, 2019

who is the developer of the game? where it's located?

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: Can a fake digital copy of the celebrity's voice be used in movies without permission from this celebrity?

Using machine learning technologies, a developer can create a synthesized copy of the celebrity's voice (for instance, like here

Can this developer use this fake digital voice in movies, mobile games, for songs, or any other video and sound content... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Dec 3, 2019

Fake or real there needs to be authorization of the person whose voice or image is being used?

Permission is the key.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Entertainment / Sports, Gaming and Personal Injury for California on
Q: how can we sue two companies named "EA Games" and "evenbalance" ?


i am a gamer who plays Video games day by day.

recently i got banned by an anti cheat Company called punkbuster without any using of cheats.

while i have payed 180 $ for my game.(*** Note : i accept the price is small but it's not only me who is involved... two... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light
answered on Jul 26, 2019

Small Claims, at best.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: I'm making an independent feature film and in the script I verbally reference work by other people.

Do I need to obtain clearance if the work is mentioned verbally and not actually seen on screen?. For example, if I have a line from a popular musical. Another example would be if I just mention a Television channel, like National Geographic?

Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
answered on Jul 23, 2019

The copyright statute covers the form of expression in the work and not the ideas in it. Factual reference to an item is usually not infringement. However, it is difficult to tell what you mean by "verbally reference." Are you referring to the mention of a painting or are you repeating... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.