Winnsboro, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: My grand daughter's ex boyfriend and father of her little girl is stalking, harassing and threatening to kill her.

She has filled harassment charges with the town in which she lives to no avail. She can't afford an attorney. What can she do? This man is crazy and scary!

1 Lawyer Answer
Elisa  Reiter
Elisa Reiter
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your granddaughter is being stalked in Texas, there are several options available to you and to your family. Here are some steps that can be taken:

File a police report: If the granddaughter is being stalked, the family should contact the police immediately. The police can investigate the situation and take steps to protect the granddaughter.

Get a protective order: If the stalker is a known person with whom the granddaughter had a dating relationship, she can seek a protective order against the stalker

Contact an attorney: If the family wants to seek custody or visitation rights for the granddaughter, they should contact an attorney who specializes in family law. The attorney can advise them on their legal options and help them navigate the court system.

Contact the Texas State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service: The Texas State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service can assist the family in finding an attorney who specializes in family law. They can be reached at (800) 252-9690.

Good luck to you and to your grand daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.