Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Kentucky

Q: I want to get custody of my autistic siblings from my parents, how can I do that?

My father and step mother have always been neglectful and borderline abusive to me and my siblings, because I don’t live full time with them I don’t get the worst of it. But my siblings do, and I want to take action to get custody of them after i graduate high school. Me and my brothers have taken care of the 2 I want custody of for many many years, so when we move out no one will be there to take care of them. I don’t have much evidence yet but I will be working to get some in the near future.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You’ll need to go through CPS, report your parents and try to gain custody in a DNA proceeding. Otherwise, you have no standing to bring a petition for custody against them in a custody action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.