Sacramento, CA asked in Banking for California

Q: Credit card company has frozen my card, refuses to return secured funds on deposit and continues to charge fees.

Employer had me get a secured credit card to use for work related expenditures. They paid the deposit and the monthly statements from their bank account. My boss died and their account was closed so payment for the card was declined. It has been almost a year since this occurred. I have spoken with credit company multiple times. I have explained the situation. They can see that the bank account had been verified, and there were no issues with any payments up until my boss passed away. They froze my credit card, won't return the secured deposit funds and continue to charge interest and late payment fees. I refuse to pay any of this. The balance on the card was less than $100 and now is over $300. They won't do anything. Keep telling me it's under investigation. I've even requested to close the account and return the deposit. It's been almost a year!!!! What can I do. They are reporting late payments and my credit is suffering because of it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if the credit card company has frozen your card, failed to return your secured deposit funds, and continues to charge fees despite your attempts to address the situation, you may want to consider sending a formal written dispute to the credit card company, outlining the facts and requesting a resolution. If this does not lead to a satisfactory outcome, you could consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and/or seeking legal assistance to explore potential legal remedies.


James L. Arrasmith

Founding Attorney and Chief Lawyer of The Law Offices of James L. Arrasmith

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.