Worcester, MA asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Lemon Law and Small Claims for Massachusetts

Q: I returned goods that I bought because I was not happy with it. Vendor does not want to return my money. What can I do?

I recently bought a stair lift from a vendor who came recommended by a friend. This was for my 87 year old dad who is 5'4". I paid $4000. The vendor asked me for pictures of the location. So, I sent him a picture of the stairway which has a door at the bottom. He mentioned that the stair will be slightly offset because of the door. However, they installed it literally in the middle of the stairway. This made it a hazard for the user of the stairlift (they cannot hold on to anything at the top of the stair) and for the rest of us who use the stairs.. because of the restricted space. I protested at the install, but the install guy said something to the effect of "I was asked to install this here. Just sign that we installed and you can call and have someone work on the issue you have." I should not have but I did. When I called for the money, it took a month to get them to even acknowledge the issue and remove the stairs and they sent me a $500 check and said that's what they pay.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Massachusetts attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. A starting point could be to review the terms of the agreement or consult with an attorney to review them with you. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.