The Woodlands, TX asked in Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: What do I need to go to a hearing to stop child support. I met all the requirements. I need a lawyer in denton countyTX

I am at the end of my child support obligation due to my daughter graduated from high school and turned 18. There is nothing in the original divorce decree about the continuation of payments after this to support college.

I have already filed a motion via the county court. This is an older decree from 2012 before the OAG took over managing CS payments. OAG still keeps the payment history, but the county handles the enforcement of the CS obligation. In the motion I filed I asked for them to notify the other party that I was asking for it to be stopped and paid for that option. It has been a few weeks since I filed and I called to see if there was anything else I should do like getting a copy of the graduation certificate. Since the HS is in the same county, I told it would not be. Now the clerk also mentioned that I would need to hire a lawyer to have this stopped. I am not behind on any payments, met all conditions in the divorce decree, and support order. I just want it over.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Most support orders already specifically state that child support ends on the date of the earliest occurrence of one of several things, including the child turning 18 years of age and graduating from high school. When one of those things occurs, there is usually nothing more you have to do.

Sometimes, wage withholding continues. If that is the case, there is a relatively simply form to complete and submit:

The box for "Termination of IWO" should be checked. "IWO" is an acronym for Income Withholding Order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.