London, KY asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Rhode Island

Q: Hi, I am not getting anywhere with accessing my late father's executor/wills order petition to dis. Is it open records?

I live in KY, but it was carried out in Rhode Island, and its hard to do things when your 1000+ miles away, and all the paper work is in a storage unit in RI, is there any other way i can go about finding out the information within it like the lawyers name? Something where i can get started??? Im hopeless, ive googled, bing'd , duckduckgo'd my fingers out!! I NEED HELP :{

1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: The petition and order you are looking for are in the records of the probate court for the town or city in which your father last resided. You can call the probate court for that town or city and speak to the probate clerk, ask for a copy of the records. Probate records are not usually available online. Calling and asking is the quickest route.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.