Warren, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: In Ohio can you file abandonment charges against a father if they’re not helping and don’t want to be a father anymore?

Dad left out of state and will not help or take his child. Says he doesn’t always want to be a father. He won’t work so that leads to my question.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Ohio, a parent can't typically be charged with abandonment for simply not being involved in their child's life or not providing financial support, unless there is a court order in place that requires them to do so. However, if there is a court-ordered child support agreement and the parent is not complying with it, legal action can be taken to enforce the agreement.

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In Ohio, one does not file charges but the lack of meaningful contact and support will be factors a court considers in a custody case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.