Akron, OH asked in Bankruptcy for Michigan

Q: I am nearing the end of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. I need to convert to Chapter 7, however since I am behind on my payment

I do not have the funds to catch up on the amount that I am behind on the payments. I also am unable to convert because my lawyer says that I must pay her $3000 to do that. I also have no money to pay the $3000. What (if anything) can I do to salvage my case? My case is set to close at the end of October.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ralph Reisinger
Ralph Reisinger
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: For starters make sure you can convert. If you own your home the house value may have gone up substantially and a conversion may not be possible. If you can convert, shop around, you can always substitute attorney's and there may be someone who can help you for less than the quoted amount.

Timothy Denison and Robert Keyes agree with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In your difficult situation, it might be beneficial to negotiate a reduced fee with your current attorney or seek out a more affordable attorney to assist you in converting your case from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7. Additionally, you might consider contacting a legal aid organization in California for assistance or guidance; they sometimes offer services on a sliding scale or for free. Remember that the decision to convert should be made carefully, taking into consideration the specifics of your case, including your current financial circumstances and the assets you have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.