Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Tennessee

Q: Is it possible to have an abusive ex boyfriend's name removed from the deed to the home we both own?

I fled the relationship almost 4 years ago. I was followed, though. I was too afraid to live alone. Thankfully, i had many friends who offered me a safe place. Safe until my ex discovered where I was staying. Once he knew, he terrorized my friends until either I left, or was asked to leave. If my friends had children, he would call in false allegations to child protective services. He has chased me, on icy roads AND with children in the car, from a McDonald's back to where I was I rushed to get the children inside, he fired a gun at the car I had been driving. Last August, I and a friend of mine rented an RV from a friend of a friend. The last night we were there, my ex attacked me with a knife. I ended up in ICU for almost 2 months, and had 2 blood transfusions because of acute blood poisoning due to the knife having been rusty. He has a warrant, but he STILL harasses me. I returned to the home we co-own, that he had nearly destroyed, then abandoned just to stalk me.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: It is possible. It is not easy or inexpensive but it is possible and may result in a sale of the property. In Ohio it is a remedy called partition. Partition cases in Tennessee refer to legal proceedings which allow joint owners of real estate to divide their interests in the property. In other words, if two or more people own a piece of property together, they can seek a court order to divide that property into separate ownership shares. Find an attorney who practices real estate law in the county where the home you described is located.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You may need to have forced sale through a Partition Action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.