Tennessee Internet Law Questions & Answers

Q: If I have been asked to pay money to someone or they will show my husband/family/everyone messages implying an affair.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Apr 17, 2019
Bennett James Wills' answer
That's extortion. If you don't know the person making the threats it's likely a scam and should be ignored. If it's someone you know, you may want to consider discussing the issue with an attorney and/or reporting the issue to law enforcement.

Q: Can a corporation require me to give access to my phone at any time and expel me if I do not comply? And is this legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Communications Law and Internet Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Mar 22, 2019
Griffin Klema's answer
It sounds like the fraternity is a voluntary non-profit organization. In the U.S. we enjoy what is called freedom of contract, which allows us to make agreements for all kinds of things. Sometimes agreements can't be enforced (even if you sign them). What the document is describing sounds draconian and far-reaching, and you have good reason to question it. If you want to remain a member of the fraternity, consider just signing it, notwithstanding the risks of being subject to that provision. If...

Q: What can I do about someone publicly posting false things and slander about me on social media?

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Tennessee on
Answered on Nov 16, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
I do not practice in Tennessee but your question remains open for four weeks. You could consult with an attorney in your state to evaluate the things posted, and learn if it would be cost-effective to pursue such a claim. You could also inquire with the attorney about the timeframes within which you must take action to preserve your legal rights, as defamation causes of action in general have relatively short statutes of limitations.

Tim Akpinar

Q: What if it has zero nicotine

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Health Care Law and Internet Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Sep 12, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
It looks like part of your question is missing and may have inadvertently been left out.

Q: Is it against the law in tennessee to record the birth of child without the mother's consent (who happens to be a minor)

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Internet Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Dec 21, 2017
Marjorie A Bristol's answer
If you mean issue a birth certificate, then yes. The mother cannot opt out of having a birth certificate issued.

Q: Scammed by a person on Etsy.com. Do I need a lawyer to subpoena Etsy so I can take him to court?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Internet Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Dec 21, 2016
Bennett James Wills' answer
It'll cost you at a minimum a few hundred dollars in filing fees (if in TN). Plus you'll need to track down who the seller actually is, where he really resides, and personally serve the seller. Which can add several hundred dollars more in service and skip trace fees. If he's in a different state you may also have jurisdictional issues assuming you can find the seller. The cost of finding, suing, and pursing a judgment against the seller may very well cost you more than $455.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.