Houston, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Texas

Q: I have legal custody of my son who is 17 years old and he recently got his girlfriend pregnant. what shall I do?

father is paying child support and now wants to stop child support payments. My son want to move in with his girlfriend and parents. What legal rights do I and my son have, I want him to continue living with me until he finishes High School. Please I need legal help. Is their some type of mitigation in family court to get counseling for both myself and my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If Father is court ordered to pay child support, he continues to pay child support until your son reaches age 18 or graduates (or is no longer attending) high school, whichever occurs later.

With your son being 17 years old, there is not a real need to get in family court to get counseling. It's likely that the court will not order counseling on the information that you've provided. You should seek to obtain counseling with your son without court intervention.

If you'd like, you can schedule a consultation with a family law attorney in your area.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you and your son.

Penny Wymyczak-White agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.