Temple Terrace, FL asked in Family Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Texas

Q: I'm being listed as a witness for my domestic partners ex wife. Do I need a lawyer, can they do this, my options?

My domestic partner is divorced for the last 6 years. The divorce was based on her inability to be in a partnership with her controlling and narcissist behaviors (i.e., she had him pull away from his own family for several years). When they had their child after a decade of trying she continued to pull him away from his son until his 3rd birthday, Eric decided it was time to end the marriage hoping to have his time with his little boy. Well now after 6 years of being divorced and multiple revisions of the Court Order, she continues to control his time with his son. This summer she took away Eric's second summer time visitation rights and kept his son in California where she has a 3rd home with her second husband. This will be the 3rd summer that she has kept him from Eric and the Order states otherwise. He has worked hard to take that higher path but it's draining and hard. His little guy needs him as much as Eric needs his son. He has been through two lawyers and it all seems

1 Lawyer Answer
Elisa  Reiter
Elisa Reiter
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your domestic partner is presumably represented by counsel, as is the child's mother.

You should retain counsel. Neither of the parties' attorneys will represent you, nor your interests in the case.

You should count on a "woodshedding" session with your attorney, prior to the deposition, so that the attorney can help you understand what to expect during the deposition.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.