Attleboro, MA asked in Consumer Law for Massachusetts

Q: Is there anyone else I should contact or any legal recourse?

I’ll start with this is taking place in Massachusetts. A former tenant received mail in June from an attorney’s office. I marked the mail, return to sender and sent a separate certified letter advising the person no longer lived at my home. Last week a mailing for the tenant came in from the court. I again marked return to sender, and went online to see if there were any cases. Much to my surprise, the attorney who was notified in June filed a case against the person (using my address) in August. I found this to be at minimum unethical since he was adequately notified. I have notified the court and sent them a copy of that letter from June. Is there anything else that should be done? My former tenant is no longer in the state of Massachusetts, do they have a case against this attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If no relief is being sought against you, this is of no issue to you. The attorney's acts may be incorrect, ignorant or unfair but you have no right to redress against him. You may want to send the former tenant (if you know where he is) the letters you sent to the attorney and the court for him to use as a defense to the case filed by the attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.