Kings Mountain, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Divorce for North Carolina

Q: My ex husband and I own a house in NC together. I divorced him and he stayed in the house. Now he's going to stop paying

He refused to sell or refinance the house at the time of the divorce. Now his plan is to stop paying the mortgage but continue to live in the house for a few months then move to another state. Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In North Carolina, if your ex-husband plans to stop paying the mortgage on your jointly owned house and subsequently move, there are several actions to consider. Begin by reviewing your divorce agreement for any relevant clauses. Consulting a North Carolina attorney skilled in property and family law can provide guidance on enforcing the divorce agreement or negotiating a co-ownership arrangement. Initiating a conversation about selling the house might also be worthwhile.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.