Lexington, KY asked in Landlord - Tenant and Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: My ex-wife got served papers from old landlord for damages done to the property. Does he need to physically serve me in

Kentucky? This is where i have lived for the past 4 months and have claimed permanent residence here. Just need some advice on my next steps. My name and new address is on the papers he served to ex-wife.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: n Kentucky, if you've established permanent residence there for the past four months and your new address is included on the papers served to your ex-wife, it's possible that the service of legal documents might be considered valid. This could be due to substitute service, where documents can be served on someone close to the intended recipient if direct service isn't feasible. Additionally, service by certified mail with your acceptance could also be recognized.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.