Q: In Nevada under NRS statues my mom owns property .Has dementia for 5 yrs no will .when she dies what paper do I file?

Her and boyfriend are joint tenants on her other property both on deed. The other property is in my mom's name only and is paid in full and I live in the house .I have to file paperwork when she dies .What paperwork should I have ready in the State of Nevada?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If your mother dies before her boyfriend, he will end up owning the property they hold in joint tenancy. If you are an only child and your mother dies without a will you will have to probate the house solely in her name but you will get it unless creditors have a claim. Even if she had willed the house to you it would still have to go thru probate. Because she has dementia I do not think a lawyer can ethically write a will for her or write a deed for her to sign the house you live in over to you.

You could start a guardianship proceeding to have a guardian--you--under court supervision handle her financial affairs. However, you would have to discuss the pros and cons of this with a guardianship lawyer--I do not do guardianships,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.