Brumley, MO asked in Employment Law for Missouri

Q: I have a non-compete in Missouri. Can I go and work for a competitor, in a different position if I don't divulge info?

I have a non-compete that was signed in 2019. It is for a period of two years after I leave the company. I am currently considering a move to a much smaller company in the same industry. I will not be in the same position I am now and I will not be sharing any information about my current employer, their contacts or customers. Can I be sued for violating the non-compete just by taking a position with another company "Like" this one?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Grant Pennell
Robert Grant Pennell
  • Manchester, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: No attorney can possibly provide any meaningful information regarding a non-compete - or any contract for that matter - without reading it in its entirety. Whether or not the position you are considering would violate the terms of the non-compete is very fact-specific. What I can tell you is that a great many companies have employees sign non-competes that are not enforceable. I would strongly encourage you to obtain a full evaluation of the non-compete from a business or employment attorney well-versed in non-competes to determine its validity generally and its application to this particular position. Such an evaluation should not be unreasonably expensive and will be well worth the cost.

Ronald J. Eisenberg agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.