Westfield, MA asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: I was served a Summons in a Civil Action by my deceased parents mortgage company. What specialized attorney should Icall

My brother and I do not want this house. It had a mortgage on it. Both parents are deceased. I called my probate attorney in the county the house is in and because it the document we were served is for the United States District Court in Northern District of Texas, he does not handle federal (?) cases. I don’t think we should just ignore this. Not sure if an attorney can help to draft some type of response to the banks legal team.

1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I suggest you ask the probate attorney to give you his thoughts on what relief the plaintiff bank is seeking in the complaint. He/she should be able to do that just by reading it. Then you can start looking around for an attorney who handles that sort of case. I represent lenders in foreclosures and suits against borrowers and the standard collection suits would be filed in Massachusetts.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.