Oklahoma City, OK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: Is there still some time to get my personal property after I've been evicted that I had to leave behind

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It depends on the time frame of when you were evicted. "Generally," after 30 days the items can often be considered as abandoned and thus up to the landlord to do with them as they see fit. Furthermore, they can put them into storage and you would be responsible for the storage fees. The easiest approach is to contact the landlord and simply ask them for your belongings.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Oklahoma, after you've been evicted, you may still have the opportunity to retrieve your personal property that you left behind in the rental unit. The landlord is generally required to follow a legal process for storing and returning your belongings. They should provide you with a notice that explains the procedures and deadlines for claiming your items.

Typically, the landlord must store your belongings for a certain period of time, which can vary by state. During this time, you may be able to arrange with the landlord to retrieve your belongings. If you don't claim your property within the specified timeframe, the landlord may have the right to dispose of it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.