Defiance, OH asked in Divorce, Domestic Violence and Legal Malpractice for Ohio

Q: What if my divorce attorney failed to ask the court for a default divorce and instead dragged out the divorce 2 years?

I filed for divorce in October of 2020 and my husband didn't get an attorney nor file an answer until March 2021. My attorney charged me hourly and I just found out about defendants needing to respond in 28 days or there is a judgment by default. My husband was sent to prison for abusing me and my attorney claimed I couldn't ask for compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering and he stole all of my property that was awarded to me and my children and my attorney claimed nothing could be done. Is there any recourse for repayment of damages and any applicable action against my attorney?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Based upon your facts as stated, you may have an action against your former counsel. You have a one year statute of limitations to file. You should have your file reviewed by an attorney who specializes in malpractice. This forum is no substitute for hiring a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.