Ohio Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers


1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 8, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
Please don't write in ALL CAPS. It's hard to read. It sounds like the appellate court did one of two things: (1) found that there was no final appealable order, or (2) indicated that without findings of fact and conclusions of law, they didn't have a sufficient record to overturn the trial court and affirmed. If it's (1), then you need to go get a final appealable order and appeal again. If it's (2), you're probably out of luck. Determining whether you're attorney is at fault would necessitate...

Q: Mom is 66 I have POA,she sold LLC, she was president, now they are trying for her personal assets,she has none,on ssi?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Elder Law, Legal Malpractice and Medical Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Sep 12, 2018
Peter N. Munsing's answer
I think I answered this already. Did the tavern have insurance? That should cover the claim, get her an attorney. If the claimant settled, see the release. Otherwise, get a consult from a bankruptcy attorney. That would put the other proceedings on hold.

Q: Can an obgyn doctor legal drop a patient from them who is 27 weeks pregnant?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Jul 23, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
Generally, when a doctor says "failure to keep a good relationship," they mean failure to pay the bills. I am aware of no law that requires any doctor to continue seeing a patient really under any circumstances. Emergency rooms have to stabilize folks but that;s about it.

Q: regarding questions

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 30, 2018
Matthew Williams' answer
It sounds like you need to hire an attorney (stop trying to be your own attorney) and file an appeal.

Q: Can I fire my lawyer even though I signed a contract? I was injured in a car accident called a lawyer he presented

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 2, 2017
Adam Michael Russell's answer
The short answer is yes. You should be free to choose your attorney. Consult your fee agreement to see if it contains any terms addressing termination of the contract. Is some situations, the attorney may assert an interest in any future recovery for the case under the theory of "quantum meruit" based on the work already performed on your behalf. This is especially true if the attorney has done a lot of work and obtained an offer of settlement.

Q: Vet malpractice small claims court advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice and Small Claims for Ohio on
Answered on Jul 17, 2017
Joseph Jaap's answer
The case would be decided on the evidence and testimony that you present in court. The vet would present evidence of giving reasonable care under the circumstances. The court would then decide if you met the burden of proof with a "good case." Small claims court can decide cases claiming up to $6000. Check the court web site for the filing fee.

Q: Malpractice in Ohio .

2 Answers | Asked in Legal Malpractice, Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Ohio on
Answered on Feb 28, 2017
Matthew Williams' answer
You are probably not too late. Statutes of limitations are measured in years. It is, however, important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to get the ball rolling on your claim.

Q: I am starting a dissolution or divorce with my with wife. Can her brother who is a lawyer in Florida represent her?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Jan 13, 2017
Joseph Jaap's answer
He cannot appear in court in Ohio as her attorney or file any documents on her behalf as her attorney. But anyone can give her advice, even him.

Q: Is this legal malpractice?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Ohio on
Answered on Sep 22, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Probably not at all.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.