Milford, MA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: Legally do i have to tell my ex wife the name of my girlfriend, if I want to bring my our child there for a sleepover?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: It is not legally required, no, unless you agreed in your divorce that you would. Often in marital settlement agreements the parties will promise to keep each other informed about where the child is staying and with whom. Even without an agreement it is customary that parents will give each other that information. If your ex were to take you to court over it then the judge might agree that you should tell your ex the name of your girlfriend. If you decide not to tell your ex then your child might tell your ex anyway, so think about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.