Alexandria, VA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Rhode Island

Q: My son is in Rhode Island, he graduated high school and is over 18. Can I stop paying child support?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If your child support judgment is a Rhode Island Family Court judgment then yes. If your child support judgment is not a Rhode Island Family Court judgment then no. Your son's presence in Rhode Island does not change your child support obligation. Some states such as Massachusetts can order child support through a higher age than 18, and they often do. You would need to review the terms of the judgment or order to know. You would also need to check whether there is any unpaid amount remaining due, especially if the state does collection, and also examine whether or not you contractually agreed to pay your son's expenses beyond age 18, such as in a marital settlement agreement pursuant to a divorce. For example, the parties to a divorce will often agree to pay for college expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.