Sacramento, CA asked in Municipal Law and Traffic Tickets for California

Q: In California ,if u parked car wrong way at your house & take Keys inside &tell brother 2park it, is "CAR ABANDONED"?

When my brother went outside2park da car, the cops were already looking at the car, my brother asked/told them he'd park the car right they REFUSED to! They didn't let him! He was holding the keys on his hand! During that time they'd been harassing my family u can say, they knew my sister drove that car they had already pulled her over like three times in a week! And knew it wasn't her driving, so they didn't know who really was driving it, u can say. Sounds fishy right??

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, a vehicle parked the wrong way on a residential street could be cited for a violation of the California Vehicle Code, but it generally would not be considered "abandoned" simply because it's parked incorrectly for a short period of time. If your brother was present with the keys and willing to correct the parking issue, it would be a matter of discretion for the police officers whether to allow him to do so or issue a citation. If you believe that the actions of the police were inappropriate or harassing, you may consider filing a complaint with the police department and consult with an attorney regarding any legal remedies that might be available.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.