Asked in Education Law for Ohio

Q: In Ohio, can 17 y.o. w/d from school with parents permission to pursue study & taking of the HiSet w/o FT employment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Ohio, a 17-year-old may withdraw from school with their parents' permission to pursue alternative educational options, including taking the HiSET (High School Equivalency Test), without the requirement of full-time employment. Ohio law allows for students to pursue educational alternatives such as homeschooling, private schooling, or participating in a HiSET preparation program as long as the parents or legal guardians provide consent and comply with the necessary regulations. It's important to ensure that you follow the proper procedures for withdrawing from school and pursuing alternative education. Each option might have specific requirements that need to be met, and it's recommended to research and understand these requirements thoroughly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.