Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Education Law Questions & Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on

Q: how is it legal for a school district to discriminate students who live within 2 miles of the school and NOT be require.

Ohio revised code 3327.01. we all pay same tax

Matthew Williams answered on Apr 25, 2019

Because the community has decided to spend its money on busing for kids that can’t walk to school. The state of Ohio requires all community to offer this minimal bus service. Your local community could offer more. But all governments have to prioritize how they spend they’re money.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: Can I/How do I oppose my university??

Hello! I am a university at a state school, in a highly competitive college/program. I am in my fourth and final year and will be graduating in May. I've had around 90% scholarship in my time here, with my junior year being fully covered, and my senior year as well... so I thought. I recently... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Mar 8, 2019

A university makes scholarship decisions. If they made a mistake and want their money back, they could withhold your diploma until repaid. You could get an attorney involved. That might delay things. You can use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain an attorney to review the facts and attend the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on

Q: I'm 18 and I was wondering if truancy laws would still apply to me?

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 26, 2019

For any violations which occurred before your 18th birthday, yes they do. Now that your 18, you can drop out if you want to...not a good idea though

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: I'm 16, am I able to change my custody to my mom from my dad to switch schools & get out of a bad environment wout court

So my dad just remarried a few years back and the house had became a terrible environment for me to live in. I get treated unfairly because my step siblings seem like they are the star of the show. They do things without permisson and get away with it but it would be totally different if it was me.... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 23, 2019

The court makes that determination. Your mother would have to file with the court to ask for a change. The court will take your desire into account, but might not agree to the change.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on

Q: What is the statue of limitations in cases that involve special education?

Lori E. Arons answered on Jan 14, 2019

The Statute of Limitations in special education matters is two years from when the parents "knew or should have known" about the violation(s), and the remedy is not limited to the two year period preceding the filing, rather the entire period of the violation may be remedied so long as a petition... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: If a child is living with someone that has no legal custody, would they be able to enroll them in school in ohio?

Might take care of a child until Mother of child gets things together. Would not have custody or guardianahip. Would like to be able to enroll child in school.

Joseph Jaap answered on Oct 1, 2018

It depends on what the school requires as proof of residency. Do you have a power of attorney? Call the school and ask what they require.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Ohio on

Q: If my daughter goes to summer school does Dad get her for visitation when vacation begins or is it after summer school

Dad doesn't help with homework because he feels that's his time and does not keep her on grounding when I ask him to do to poor grades

Joseph Jaap answered on Mar 20, 2018

The summer visitation schedule begins as specified in the court's order. If not specific enough, or if it is silent on summer school, then the order might require mediation if you and he cannot agree, or you can file with the court for a modification. Consult your attorney or use the Find a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio on

Q: Im 18 and plan dropout of high school and move out of state. do i need parental consent to do so?

my father is verbally abusive and is very manipulative to others. i want to move out of state to my fiances house with him. i would need to drop out to do this but do i need parental consent to drop out?

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 22, 2018

You are 18. You are legally an adult. You can make your own decisions now about everything. But, please, don't just drop out of school, enroll yourself where you are planning to move.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on

Q: Can I get suspended from school for lying to principal?

I did acid this weekend, and i was upset that i did it. So i wanted to go and talk to someone about it. I told my principal because she promised she wouldn’t tell anybody. As soon as i told her the story she said “what are the names of your friends” I said “I don’t know i forgot” then... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 20, 2018

This is a matter of school policy, not law. It is very likely that you can be suspended for lying to the principal.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: Can my child's school force me to put my son in counseling?

My son was 9 at the time and for show and tell brought a bb gun into school. He was expelled. But at the expulsion hearing they allowed him to return with a list of things to be completed. Such as good attendance, complete homework, check in every morning with the counselor, Take his meds etc etc... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Feb 13, 2018

The school can impose conditions on allowing re-enrollment. You can choose not to comply, but then find another school. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney familiar with civil rights and school cases.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: Is it true that in ohio you have to live with your parents until you graduate even after turning 18

Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 30, 2018

There are circumstances in which parents must support a child after reaching 18, but unless the parents are appointed as legal guardian, an 18 year old can make his or her own decisions, and mistakes. If you move out, would you still have health insurance coverage, car insurance? Do you have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Criminal Law and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: If my 18 year old is at someone’s house when I don’t want them to but still in high school can I call the police?

Joseph Jaap answered on Jan 29, 2018

You can, but unless there is illegal activity, the police are unlikely to do anything. An 18 year old is no longer a minor, and can do what they want.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: If my ex and I were never married and never went to court and I alone have custody how can I get them back.

When we split up I continued to allow him to keep them Mon through Friday for school. My situation was unsure of at that time I financially supported him all kids plus my two sisters for months then after he got a job I continued to financially support him and Kids with what ever he needed when I... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Dec 28, 2017

He can do a lot if the school and others don't bother to check, and if you don't take any legal action. Are they listed on his health insurance? Contact the police and show them the birth certificates and ask them for their help in getting the children back or call children's services. If they... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Ohio on

Q: I'm 18 I live with my fiance can I drop out of school in ohio then go get my GED

Matthew Williams answered on Dec 4, 2017

Yes. It's a bad idea, but entirely within your rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: I'm 16 and live away from my parents who refused to take care of me and need emancipated how do I go about it ?

Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 16, 2017

Ohio does not allow emancipation. See this link:

Talk to your school counselor or other trusted adult about your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: My son is five an just started kindergarten but he don't want to go. Do I have to start him at five or can i wait

He us having problems being apart from me his mother

Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 27, 2017

Talk to his school about the situation. Kids usually get over the separation issue quickly, and if they don't, the school can find ways to help. Keeping him at home is probably not the best answer for him, and children are required to receive proper schooling.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: What can I do with my 16 year old who is unruly and refuses to go to school? She has been on probation and nothing hap

She has had the police called on her more than once but nothing ever comes of it. We have asked that she be put into juvenile detention but were told no. She sees a councillor and is on medication for behavioral problems. She threatens to make up lies to try to get me in trouble if I call the... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 25, 2017

Contact child and family services. Also contact any local agencies and charities that provide family counseling and assistance. They may have recommendations. The legal system might not have an answer unless she gets into real trouble. Keep at it.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: Can the office keep my children out of class?

My 2 grade school children's school has an event going on where once a week they can dress down in a creative way. They have no uniforms anyways. But on the newsletter it says a minimum "donation" of 50 cents is required. I don't agree because a donation is voluntary in my opinion. If I still send... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 22, 2017

The school makes the rules. Talk to the school and work it out with them.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on

Q: Im 16 & Missed 75 Days Of School Due To Being Bullied. Courts Ordered Probation If I Drop Out Will I Still Have To Do It

I Decided To Not Go To School After I Told The Police Officer At My School About The Bullying And It Kept Going On. I Ended Up Having To Go To Court Which Then I Was Ordered Probation And Got Hit With Around $400 In Court Fines Im Only 16 And Have Been Paying The Fines For Like 2 Months And Its... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 3, 2017

Yes, they can put you on probation. But dropping out is not the solution. Do not drop out. Are your parents talking to the school principal? Can you transfer to another school? Have you spoken to the school counselor, teachers, or others? Dropping out of school is not a good choice. There... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Education Law for Ohio on

Q: If you were part of a prosecution team and you convicted someone of a crime and 10 years later new evidence is found

And the new evidence suggests that someone else committed the crime, what do you do.

Matthew Williams answered on Jul 17, 2017

If the prosecutor can be convinced the new evidence raises serious questions about the guilt of the accused, he or she can be helpful in defense efforts to reopen the case for a new trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.