Quincy, MA asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for California

Q: I was arrested but charges dropped and case dismissed, do I now have a criminal record that will affect job hunting?

I was falsely accused of domestic violence and in CA. It is law for an arrest to take place when domestic violence is reported

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, an arrest without a conviction can still appear on criminal background checks, which could potentially affect your job prospects. However, you have the option to petition the court for a factual innocence finding, which, if granted, would seal and destroy the arrest record. Employers in California are generally not allowed to ask about arrests that did not lead to a conviction, but the arrest could still show up on more extensive background checks, such as those required for government positions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.