Norfolk, NE asked in Landlord - Tenant and Contracts for Nebraska

Q: Ex landlord is trying to charge $2,000 and seized entire deposit.

So I moved out of my apartment with my brother and provided more than ample written notice with my landlord per they require. They accepted the notice and we vacated the apartment. We paid our rent and specifically stated in our move out notice that if we move out prior to the end of the month we would be requesting our unused portion of rent back. We moved out and took time and geo-stamped photos of the unit. They are now trying to say that we left this place a wreck. They changed the lock codes on us (electronic door code entry to the unit) as well so we couldn't access the unit. We had to use the app they use to get back in and take photos before giving notice that we are vacating the unit and now they're alleging that we owe $2,500 in ridiculous damages and unpaid rent after they already seized our $1,140 deposit. Also they will not return the unused portion of rent. They're demanding that we pay this before they will give me my package that was shipped to the old address as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You generally can't hold someone's mail because you believe that person owes you money. Tampering with someone's mail sent via USPS can come with stiff consequences under federal law. If you believe someone is holding or opening your mail illegally, you may want to contact your local postmaster to report this and ask for assistance in getting it back.

For the rest of your question, a good resource to start is the Landlord-Tenant Handbook by Legal Aid of Nebraska. It is a little dated now but it is often still a useful resource as a starting off point. It also includes phone numbers to contact for additional information and some sample forms and letters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.