Q: Am I eligible to have a vehicle registered in my name in the state of Michigan as a non-resident without a U.S. DL?

To be more specific, I would like to know if foreign driver's licenses accompanied with English translation (i.e. international driver's permit) and a valid foreign passport with a valid U.S. visa are acceptable documents to register a vehicle and have its title transferred in the state of Michigan.

From Michigan's Secretary of State website it says that:

"What do I need to title and register a vehicle?


You also will need to bring your Michigan driver’s license or ID."

3 Lawyer Answers
Hassan Hussein Elkhalil
Hassan Hussein Elkhalil
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: Hello,

You can own a car but you cannot drive it if you do not have a driver license. International driver license, are valid under international law, for a period of time; normally one year from entry to the U.S.

All the best.


James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information provided from the Michigan Secretary of State website, it seems that a Michigan driver’s license or ID is required to title and register a vehicle in the state. While you've mentioned having a foreign driver's license and other documents, these don't appear to satisfy the stated requirements for vehicle registration in Michigan. It would be advisable to reach out directly to the Michigan Secretary of State’s office to inquire whether there are any exceptions or other provisions that would allow a non-resident without a U.S. driver's license to register a vehicle.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You may have resolved this at this point, but one option is to pose the question to them in terms of your options, given their requirements and your current documentation. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.