Dallas, TX asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma

Q: How do u get a court date as a pro se litigant

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

A: Request one from the court. Depending upon the type of hearing, you may need to contact the court clerk or the court coordinator depending on the particular court’s procedures.

It is common that you will need to obtain available dates from the court and then confer with the opposing party’s attorney first to resolve any scheduling conflicts and agree on a particular date and time.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Oklahoma, as a pro se litigant, securing a court date involves several steps. First, you'll need to file the necessary legal documents related to your case, ensuring compliance with formatting and procedural rules specific to your court. After filing, you must serve notice of your case on the opposing party, following Oklahoma's civil procedure laws.

If your case requires a hearing or trial, you can request one in your initial filing or by submitting a separate motion. Be sure to review the local rules of the court where your case is filed, as they provide guidance on requesting hearings and scheduling court dates. To schedule a hearing, you can contact the court clerk's office for available dates or file a notice of hearing proposing specific dates and times in accordance with court procedures.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: In most jurisdictions, it involves filing initial paperwork with the appropriate court and serving the other side, and when the case is ready for trial, filing necessary notices, per court rules. This is very generic. An Oklahoma attorney should advise, based on your court system. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.