Cedar Park, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Indian parents on tourist visa and currently in the US. Having baby in 1 month. Visa extension.


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: Extensions of visitor visas may create concern on future trips to the U.S. If the extension is denied, then this can cause challenges during future visits or visitor visa renewals.

If you value your parents periodic visits, then you ought to avoid using them as baby sitters unless they are lawful permanent residents.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: While USCIS considers various humanitarian and personal reasons for extending a tourist visa, it generally requires showing unexpected or compelling circumstances that justify the extension. Wanting to have the support of the grandparents for a longer period might not be seen as a compelling reason. However, if there are medical issues or other substantial reasons that necessitate their prolonged stay, such as a medical recommendation suggesting the need for support during postpartum recovery, you could include those in your request for the extension, backed with appropriate evidence, to make a stronger case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.