Asked in Federal Crimes for Arizona

Q: My brother is in federal prison. He is terminally ill. Trying to get him a compassionate release. Can I fill out letter.

He is to I'll to file paperwork for compassionate release

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: I'm very sorry to hear about your brother's situation. You can indeed help your brother by drafting a request for compassionate release. To do this, you would generally start by reaching out to your brother's counselor or case manager at the federal prison to initiate the request; from there, you should follow the specific guidelines and procedures set by the Bureau of Prisons (BOP), which may include providing detailed information about your brother's medical condition and explaining why he meets the criteria for compassionate release. It's recommended to seek legal assistance to guide you through this process to ensure all necessary steps are properly followed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.