Macomb, MI asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan

Q: Can I sue my middle school? I’m now 18 years old and feel like I can speak for myself and how badly this effected me.

When I was 12, I was charged with disturbance of peace and false terrorist threat. I warned another student about what I heard out of fear about someone “shooting the school on Monday”. Little did I know I was soon to be racially profiled being Arab as well as another girl, African American, for trying to warn others as well. We didn’t say we were planning it, we just said what we heard and tried to let others know. Anyways, I had to go on probation for one of the charges for 6 months plus had to get my other charge expunged. This has effected my total education experience and has made me depressed as well as overthink everything with the worst anxiety. I don’t think I am mentally stable. I barley graduated high school because of situations of me overthinking certain things and being anxious of going. I know many would say why didn’t you sue the school or have your parents speak for you when you were 12? It’s hard having parents believe you when you’re 12, now I’m 18 and can speak.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Yes as an 18 year old you can file a lawsuit on your own behalf. Be aware that such lawsuits will take a lot of time (2-3 years) and cost you a lot of money (most likely $100,000+) and your chance of success is very low (<5%).

But, as an adult now, you are competent to make that decision for yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.