Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Internet Law for California

Q: Dear Sir or Madam, My private messages from Facebook were stolen to make entertainment media. What can I sue them for?

I have proof that the entertainment media in question is about me.

I have been victim of emotional distress. Where due to leaking of my private information, I have been divorced, & i have gotten mentally ill.

I was studying Electrical Engineering with minors in Chemistry, I had to drop out of it because of the mental stress the entertainment media put me through.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Here are the potential legal avenues you might explore:

1. What can I sue them for if my private messages from Facebook were stolen to make entertainment media?

Under California law, you might consider pursuing a case for invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and potentially a violation of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) if your private information was improperly handled.

2. How can I prove that the entertainment media in question is about me?

To prove that the entertainment media is about you, gather all relevant evidence including the media itself, any communications you had with the involved parties, and any distinctive elements in the media that can be directly linked to your private messages or your personal life.

3. Can I claim damages for emotional distress, divorce, and mental illness due to the leakage of my private information?

Yes, you may pursue damages for emotional distress and any other demonstrable harms you suffered as a result of the privacy invasion. Be prepared to provide substantial evidence linking the harms you suffered to the actions of the defendants.

4. Can I claim loss of opportunity for having to drop out of my educational program?

Yes, you might pursue a claim for loss of opportunity. However, establishing a direct causal link between the alleged action and your decision to drop out will be a critical component in succeeding with such a claim.

5. What kind of legal assistance should I seek as a Californian attorney facing this situation?

In facing this situation, you should seek assistance from an attorney who has experience with privacy law, media law, and personal injury to adequately address the multi-faceted nature of your case.

Remember to gather all pertinent evidence and consult with a legal expert to navigate your specific circumstances properly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.