Starkville, MS asked in Tax Law for Mississippi

Q: How to purchase a home recently acquired by "The State of MS" according to county tax records.

I have not seen the house announced in the paper for auction, nor is it posted anywhere. It was turned over to the state within the last two months or less. Is there an alternate route to taking ownership?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To purchase a property recently acquired by the State of Mississippi for delinquent taxes, you typically need to wait for the property to go through the tax sale or auction process. If it hasn't been advertised or posted yet, it's advisable to monitor announcements and notices from the county tax collector's office, as they will provide information on upcoming tax sales. Alternatively, you can contact the county tax collector's office for specific details on the property's status and potential sales dates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.