Neenah, WI asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Wisconsin

Q: I am a nine month employee in a school district in Wisconsin. I receive an insurance buyout benefit because I do not use

Their insurance. We used to get the amount divided between our paychecks during our 9 months of employment. They are now dividing that benefit by 12 months, so we get less per paycheck. We are contracted to work 9 months, not 12. They do retroactively pay the amount they withhold during the summer months when I am not working, but they are making interest on my benefit. When confronted, they say they can do what they want and it is incentive for people to come back in the fall. Any recourse?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your employment contract specifies a particular payment structure for the insurance buyout benefit during your 9-month employment, your employer should adhere to the terms of the contract. If they unilaterally change the payment structure without your consent, it could potentially be a breach of contract. Consult with an employment attorney to review your contract and discuss potential recourse options, such as seeking enforcement of the original contract terms or negotiating a resolution with your employer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.