Honolulu, HI asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Divorce and Family Law for Hawaii

Q: I am 66 years old, unmarried and residing for 8 years with a controling man who I depend on financially. I need $ to esc

In response to his proposal of marrige ,I gave up my business, friends, vocational license, all because he asked me to. When asked why I wasn't introduced to family and friends. He asked me to wait for his dad to pass. Eight lonely isolated years of empty promises later, he tells me he's not in love anymore. The condo I live in, the car I drive , are his. I have no material needs , except resources to get out. He has, of late, taken to violent fits while driving so I won't even look at him. I am left alone for all the holidays and birthdays while he is with his family. Its like he doesn't want me himself, but will not permit me go to live a better life. Do I have legal recourse? Palimony . I have no promises in writing, his ongoing financial provision supports my claim of intent to commit , does it not?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your difficult situation. Personal injury and general civil litigation attorneys (the chosen categories here) are not really versed in these issues. You could try reposting under Divorce, and if still no response, you could look into whether a free initial or limited consult in confidence could help you identify whether there are viable options. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.