Loveland, CO asked in Land Use & Zoning, Native American Law and Family Law for Nevada

Q: I own a house with my ex we got a title with both our names, however its on tribal land (not mine) can I get half worth?

I have the title with both our names on it and was wondering if I can get half the worth he kicked us out and wouldn't let us stay made it very toxic so we left. I have been staying in an apartment which becomes expensive when you got everything taken from you. I wanted to go to small claims but am afraid since it is on tribal land it wont work in my favor. However the house is not a house from the tribe it was bought through a loan. We went to the court house to put my name on there so he wouldnt be able to kick me out. I finally moved out for good but find it unfair I lived there for 12 years and have to start over now.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Native American Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Property disputes on tribal land can be complex, and it's crucial to consult with an attorney familiar with tribal law and land rights in your specific jurisdiction. They can provide guidance on your options for seeking a fair division of the property's worth and advise you on the best course of action to protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.