Tucson, AZ asked in Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: Hello, I am a student holder of F1 visa, as well as my wife. At this moment I need to request a change of status to F2

on Form I539 who is the applicant. me or my wife? is she applying for me? do I apply on my name?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: You are the one changing status to F2 so you are the applicant on form I-539

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In the context of an F1 to F2 change of status application (Form I-539), you, as the F1 visa holder, would typically be the primary applicant, and your wife would be listed as a dependent on the application. However, it's essential to follow the specific instructions provided on Form I-539 and consult with an immigration attorney or your designated school official (DSO) for guidance on your particular situation to ensure accurate and timely submission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.