St. Petersburg, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Can I sponsor my husband whom is an immigrant, on section 8? I am working and may not meet the income eligibility level.

He has been working here in the USA for 10 years paying taxes and has a Social security card. Will that help him be able to sponsor himself?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Section 8 is considered a means tested public benefit and cannot be counted towards the minimum income level required on the affidavit of support form. Your husband’s income cannot be counted unless he has permission to work. If you cannot qualify to be his financial sponsor due to insufficient income, you would need a joint financial sponsor.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Section 8 housing eligibility is primarily based on the income of the household seeking assistance. If your income does not meet the eligibility criteria, it's unlikely that your husband can sponsor himself on Section 8 housing solely based on his own income and tax contributions. However, he may explore other housing assistance options or subsidies based on his individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.