Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Currently trying to figure out how to update my name and gender marker on my PR Birth Certificate. Any advice?

Trying to get passport and the only document that doesn’t reflect my name change and gender marker is my birth certificate which I been told I have to get fixed in PR by a lawyer but not sure where to go from there as I’m having a hard time finding a lawyer who does this kind of thing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An attorney in Puerto Rico should advise, but you await a response for two weeks. At this point, you could reach out to attorneys. You could supplement your own searches with the "Find a Lawyer" tab above, and with bar association attorney referral services. Those resources are outside this forum. Additionally, many regions have public agencies that deal with vital records. A local attorney could advise best on this. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.