Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Gov & Administrative Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Puerto Rico Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Currently trying to figure out how to update my name and gender marker on my PR Birth Certificate. Any advice?

Trying to get passport and the only document that doesn’t reflect my name change and gender marker is my birth certificate which I been told I have to get fixed in PR by a lawyer but not sure where to go from there as I’m having a hard time finding a lawyer who does this kind of thing.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 28, 2023

An attorney in Puerto Rico should advise, but you await a response for two weeks. At this point, you could reach out to attorneys. You could supplement your own searches with the "Find a Lawyer" tab above, and with bar association attorney referral services. Those resources are outside... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Probate for Puerto Rico on
Q: Q: My wife and I have found an abandoned propert in Puerto Rico that we would like to claim using adverse possession.

We have spoke to all the neighbors in the area and found the owner to be deceased and the place has been empty for about 6 years or since Hurricane Maria. How can we take the property in good faith. What actions need to be taken.

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on Jul 18, 2023

Under Puerto Rico Rule of Law, you would need to be in pacific possession of said real estate property, openly, and (in the mind of your neighbors) as if you were the owners of said property. This would need to continue for 20 years, the go before a court of law to request said adverse possession... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: What is the process of recovering escrow held by the government at the closing of a house in Puerto Rico?
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
answered on May 30, 2023

I need additional information before I can answer your question. When was the sale closed? What state do you reside in? If you live outside Puerto Rico, the local Revenue Code requires that a 15% retention be automatically made against sales proceeds for non Puerto Rico residents. This retention is... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Gov & Administrative Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: I have a child in department of family care whose DNA test is required ?what is the procedure?stolen baby from hospital.

Department of family Puerto Rico is doing everything to not let me see him by making excuses or hanging up calls. One of child mom friends told me that baby is actually stolen baby from hospital so blood test shows mom is not his real mom even so government is worried test will open a Pandora box... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Aug 4, 2019

Get the test.

Perhaps it would help if you did not refer to the child as an “it.”

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.