Bakersfield, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California

Q: Can I request to change custody order at a different court case from my own case.

I am listed as other parent on VDOP. Mother of child and I broke up, she refused for me to have any contact or knowledge about our child (3y) until I took her to court and fought for custody time. During the 6 months that child was kept from me, the mother contacted the biological father. /child and father have been in communication since. After I was granted my visitation, bio father then decides he wants to be legally involved. Me and mother of child, are the respondent, we are not together, and she shares the bare minimal information of child with me. This is a whole other court case, from the one I already have, with custody order. And a different judge. In my response can I request to change my visitation order with more time in this case, that is for the bio father requesting to establish parentage. Or would I have to file differently.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, you can request a modification to your visitation order within the existing court case that pertains to custody and visitation. You would typically file a motion to modify the visitation order in the same case, rather than initiating a separate case. Consult with an attorney to ensure you follow the correct procedure and requirements for seeking a modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.