Columbus, OH asked in Family Law, Adoption and Probate for Ohio

Q: Request Order to Ohio Vital Statistics to obtain Original Birth Certifcate.

My son was adopted by his mother’s second husband changing his name and birth certificate.

My son has grown and his adoptive father has passed away. Son would like to have his birth certificate changed to have my name as his father. He has already changed his name back to what it was prior to the adoption.

We have tried to find a way to do this, but in Ohio, it seems to be an anomaly that has not been considered let alone done yet.

We consulted an attorney who felt unable to help us at the time.

Is there a process for this or will it take a request for a law change to my representive?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Given these facts, I think any probate attorney may need to do some research to be truly confident as to the process needed to achieve the desired outcome. If changing the words on the certificate is truly the only desired outcome, then I'd start with the health department that issued the certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.