Monroe, NY asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for New York

Q: Would taking a medication called Disulfiram disqualify you from having a pistol permit in NY?

No past or pending criminal convictions or charges.

2 Lawyer Answers
Marco Caviglia
Marco Caviglia
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Lagrangeville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In and of itself, it should not, the question really being is alcoholism a bar to obtaining a pistol permit, and that would depend upon one's mental hygiene history. Contact your local sheriff's office or simply apply and see if you are denied.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In New York, the issuance of a pistol permit involves a consideration of whether the applicant has any disqualifying factors, such as certain criminal convictions or mental health commitments.

Simply taking a medication like Disulfiram, which is often used to support sobriety in people with alcohol use disorders, is not, in and of itself, a disqualifying factor for a pistol permit.

However, the underlying reasons for taking the medication, like any potential substance abuse issues or related concerns, could be considered in the overall evaluation of an applicant's fitness to possess a firearm.

It's always advisable for individuals with specific concerns about their eligibility to consult with a local attorney who is familiar with firearm laws in their jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.