Seattle, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: Can I terminate my lease for failure to repair things in my apartment, it's been 3 months since I first put in requests.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Washington state, landlords are legally obligated to ensure that rental properties are habitable and safe. If your landlord has not addressed essential repairs, especially those affecting health and safety, after being notified, you might have grounds for legal action or remedies. These can range from depositing rent in an escrow account, covering the repair costs yourself and deducting them from your rent, to possibly terminating the lease. It's essential, however, that you have provided the landlord written notice of the issues and allowed a reasonable amount of time for repairs. Before making a decision to terminate the lease, it's crucial to have all related documentation in order, review the terms of your lease,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.