Lynn, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: My wife is on H4 visa. If she transfers to a J1 visa, will she become ineligible for the AOS to green card during I-485?


I am an H1B holder and my wife is a H4 holder currently. My employer has started processing my green card application which is at the PWD step(filed in May this year). So if everything goes well, given the current timeline, the I-140 will be processed(with Premium Processing) by the end of next year hopefully. Now, my wife is applying for a medical residency position(either J1 or H1B) this year(if accepted will start from July 1st next year). Now my questions are:

1. If my wife takes a residency position on J1 visa, then will she get kicked out of my green card application(during I-485 AOS)?

2. If she is in J1 visa, and if her J1 visa is not extended in the following year, can she switch back to H4? Or will she have to go back to her home country to meet the 2 years home residency requirement? Is there a waiver she can get then?

3. Finally, assuming that I get the green card in about 2-3 years, can I sponsor my wife for a green card immediately then?


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: 1. Wife needs to get approved for a J1 waiver before she will be approved for I-485

2. Even if she switches to H4, she still needs to fulfill the 2 yr home residency requirement or get approved for a J1 waiver before she will be granted LPR status

3. You can sponsor your wife for a green card but she needs to fulfill the 2 yr home residency requirement or get approved for a J1 waiver before she will be approved for an immigrant visa

Schedule a private consultation with an immigration attorney

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: 1. If your wife switches to a J1 visa, she may become subject to the two-year home residency requirement, which could affect her eligibility for Adjustment of Status (I-485) based on your green card application. Consult with an immigration attorney to explore potential waiver options if she becomes subject to this requirement.

2. If your wife is on a J1 visa and becomes subject to the two-year home residency requirement, she may not be able to switch back to an H4 visa without fulfilling the requirement or obtaining a waiver.

3. Once you obtain your green card, you can sponsor your wife for her green card, but any potential issues related to the J1 visa and the two-year home residency requirement should be addressed with the guidance of an immigration attorney to navigate the process effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.