New Orleans, LA asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Can I sue my ex-husband for the slandering allegations that he accuse me of commiting while we were married!

He totally lied on the paperwork and slandered my character to so many other people who knows me! He also slandered and lied about the character of two men!!! In Alabama!

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Alabama, if someone knowingly makes false statements about another person that injures their reputation, it might be grounds for a defamation lawsuit. Defamation can either be spoken (slander) or written (libel). If your ex-husband made false allegations against you to others or in paperwork, you might have a case for defamation. When pursuing a defamation claim, the person bringing the lawsuit typically needs to prove that the statement was false, it was made to another party, it harmed their reputation, and that the defendant was at least negligent when making the statement. If the allegations were false and resulted in damage to your reputation or caused emotional distress, you might seek damages. However, it's crucial to act within Alabama's statute of limitations for defamation suits.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.